Position Title: Caseworker, Family Preservation Services and Brief Services
Reports To: Supervisor, Family Preservation Services and Brief Services
Family Services' positions require employees to maintain certain skills and characteristics to perform job tasks successfully. These characteristics include the flexibility to work independently and in a team environment, as well as willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done while maintaining the highest level of professional integrity. This means maintaining confidentiality and following workplace policies and procedures, supervisory directives, and even changing work assignments if deemed necessary by management. Effective time management skills are essential to performing multi-task functions in an efficient manner. The ability to communicate effectively both in oral and written form is vital. This facilitates collaboration with clients and a range of other stakeholders. Effective written communication skills also result in meeting the documentation requirements of various funding sources. Additionally, Family Services stresses ongoing learning and professional development as well as openness to supervisory feedback.
This position requires the ability to respond to various differences among the agency's clientele and staff, including but not limited to economic, ethnic, religious, sex, age, and disability status. Workers should be sensitive to any and all differences. Employee must possess a capacity for appropriate assertiveness skills, the ability to assess and respond to verbal and nonverbal cues, as well as good relationship skills which allow for dealing with staff/clients under stress.
Position requires a commitment to Family Services' mission to strengthen families as the ideal nurturing environment for people, empowering individual members to grow. Employee acts in accordance with the Social Work Code of Ethics.
Provides direct social services to assigned caseload, coordinates case effects with funding source and related agencies. Provides crisis service to caseload. Ability to provide after workday hours. Delivers intensive services involving a wide range of problems to assigned caseloads. Considerable day and evening driving to County areas is required. Worker is required to have a valid driver's license, and access to reliable transportation is essential. Worker is required to visit client's homes on a regular basis. Worker should be able to effectively manage self in crisis situations (violence, physical aggression, etc.
Examples of Tasks Performed and Work Assigned:
- Provides all methods of casework services to clients as assigned.
- Interviews assigned clients in client's home on a regular basis.
- Performs extensive assessment and provides thorough written assessment report.
- Maintains collateral relationship with other agencies, participates in case staffings and attends meetings with other funding sources as assigned by supervisor.
- Markets agency services to referral sources and general community.
- Maintains case records per agency policy and does so in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates coordination skills in working with families, staff and other agency personnel.
- Advocates for client and/or stimulates client to act on his/her own.
- Establishes a professional relationship with the client.
- Acts in accordance with the Social Work Code of Ethics.
- Demonstrates an understanding of community organizations and their purposes.
- Demonstrates appropriate assertiveness skills.
- Participates in individual, group, peer and overall agency supervisory and staff development activities.
- Interacts with primary, external and internal customers of the agency in such a manner that the customer experiences increasing quality; participates as a member of a Quality Team.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in social sciences plus two (2) years experience.
We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religious creed, ancestry, sex, disability, age or national origin, or other classifications protected by law.